Beginnings

Colombian Andes

My father and I began going to Colombia a year and a half ago. Since then, I have been to Colombia three times; each time for about ten days.  I try to go to Colombia about twice a year.  I am currently learning Spanish, but on my first trip to Colombia I only knew a few words of Spanish (hello, thank you, goodbye).   When my father and I go to Colombia, we go with Henry, a travel guide who is Colombian and also speaks english.  It is important to mention I go with him because Henry has made my experience going to to Colombia possible.  As a group, we spent most of our time in Santa Rosa de Cabal; this is where Henry's mom, Mama Londano, lives.  Near Santa Rosa, we sleep at a small, hostel-like inn that is maintained by my good friend German (pronounced 'Her-mahn').  German lives with his wife Lina and daughter Angie.  They have three dogs; two of them are German Shepherds; as well as a macaw, a parakeet, ducks, chickens, and various plants.  The neighboring yard to their establishment is a tomato farm.

City Square, Santa Rosa de Cabal


We have traveled throughout the Colombian Coffee Triangle; a location in the Andes mountains that is largely rural in landscape pattern, but with dense jungle forests in some areas.  The mountains are steep and grass covered.  Forests are tall, and isolated by agricultural landscapes.  Cows graze a portion of the land, and coffee plants are in rows along steep slopes, interspersed with banana trees.  There are a few cities in the area, which is where most people live.  Cities include Pereira, Santa Rosa de Cabal, and MedellĂ­n.

 The Colombian people are friendly and hardworking.  Many people work agricultural jobs that require them to hand pick coffee, cure it, and sort it.





Termales (hot springs) Santa Rosa de Cabal

In my first trip to Colombia, I visited a site that is a popular tourist attraction, the volcanic hot springs.  The water here is heated by underground volcanic activity, and flows into public pools where you can enjoy spring water at temperatures of 80 degrees fahrenheit.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days in Santa Rosa

Hiking in the Colombian Coffee Triangle